Friday, September 18, 2020

THE THRALL'S TALE


 

The Thrall's Tale, Judith Lindbergh, Viking, 2006, 446 pp


This well-researched and meticulously written novel is historical fiction set in Greenland at the end of the 10th century AD. Erik the Red it was who led 25 ships and 400 settlers of Vikings from Iceland to the new land of Greenland.

A thrall was the name for a slave in the Viking world. Thrall originally meant someone bound to a landowner. It has come to mean any way a person can be under the control of someone or something. I like to say I have been enthralled by a book but never knew the word originally meant enslaved!

I have had The Thrall's Tale in my possession for many years but when I first attempted to read it, I could not make any headway. Recently I read a collection of Norse Tales.


The Norse Myths, Kevin Crossley-Holland, Pantheon Books, 1980, 236 pp

From it I learned the cosmology of the Norse people, came to know all the gods, goddesses, giants, dwarves and monsters. The tales, in the collection retold by Kevin Crossley-Holland, cover the entire breadth of Norse mythology from its creation tale to Ragnarok, its destruction tale and vision of the future. 

Thus I felt ready to try The Thrall's Tale again and it all suddenly made sense, especially enhanced by the maps provided in the front of the book. If that sounds like a lot of work and study, it was. It was also so worth it.

Katla is a thrall who traveled to Greenland on one of those 25 ships I mentioned above. She had lost her mother, who was her master's lover and also an early Christian. Once her master and his family were settled, Katla was brutally raped by the master's son. Being completely traumatized, her master sent Katla to Thorbjorg, a prophetess of the Norse god Odin. Thorbjorg had been brought to Greenland to serve as a link to the gods, a healer and a seer who could determine the future of the settlers. She does heal Katla and keeps her as one of her own thralls.

In a sense this is a pioneer tale. The wild and unpredictable weather in Iceland, the encroaching inroads of Christianity, and Katla's inability to accept the daughter she bore from the rape, make this a story filled with extreme hardship and brutality.

Thorbjorg truly had powers to heal, divine the future and protect the people. Once Christianity began winning converts from both the lords and the common people though, her powers diminished.

So many conflicts of love and faith, so much violence, even a plague. Through it all was the influence of Odin, of the Norse myths, and of forces for good and evil. Katla's daughter walks the razor's edge between those forces.

It was not an easy book to read but it was "enthralling." I looked forward to reading it everyday, taking my time to understand such a foreign culture. Judith Lindbergh goes beyond the grand themes of the Vikings and into the details of ordinary life behind the sagas, the battles and the feuds. She provides a thrilling tale of adventure giving equal attention to women and men.

21 comments:

  1. I had no idea that was its original meaning either! Huh. Learn something new every day. I will be looking for this one in the future. You had me at 'well-researched', 'Greenland', '10th century' and 'vikings'. Those are all my fave things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fav things too! That is why I was so glad to have finally read the book.

      Delete
    2. I will also have to look into the Norse mythology one. I have yet to read a good collection of those, which is kind of surprising now that I think about it.

      Delete
  2. the 9th and 10th centuries were a warming period in that part of Europe, and it encouraged a lot of migration... it was partly because of the returning cold that the Greenland colony collapsed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that additional information!

      Delete
  3. I think that I looked at this closely in a bookstore once.

    Norse mythology sounds so interesting. It is neat that it was incorporated into this book. The plot sounds very dark but very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mythology was so curious because it contains many similar myths to others around the world. And the cover of The Thrall's Tale is what lured me to it!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an interesting story. I'm not much into mythologies but I think I should read these books in the same order you did.

    As I said to your comment on The Bondwoman's Narrative, there have been and are slaves all over the world. What a world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the odd trends in the world these days, the mythology gave me food for thought.

      Delete
    2. I read a book about Greek mythologies last year (Greek Myths Retold) but even one of my favourite smart comedians, Stephen Fry, could not explain it to me in a way that I would remember. Maybe the Norse stories are better for me. Mind you, Ragnarok by A.S. Byatt didn't do it for me, either, even though I absolutely loved her novel Possession. But I don't want to give up. So, thanks for the advice.

      Delete
  5. Right in my wheelhouse as a reader. Definitely one for the reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Norse mythology is so vast, so many gods and goddesses, I think I’d need to read the Norse Myths before I attempt this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stories about the Norse mythology. I loved the series Vikings as well and I'll add this to the list. I'll make sure I take my time to read it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Esther! I need to take a look at that series.

      Delete
  8. You are expanding yours & my horizons. I could get into the Vikings ... so aptly published by Viking too. Much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we readers live for expanded horizons!

      Delete
  9. The Norse Myths is one that has been on my TBR for years! I really need to read it! I love anything to do with Norse culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Norse Myths was so great! A map of their mythical place inside the front cover. Lists of all the gods, goddesses, etc. Each tale is retold by the author based on deep study of the ancient texts. I read one tale a night as a bedtime story and by the end felt like I had taken a class, besides being well entertained.

      Delete