Wednesday, September 30, 2020

THE JUST CITY

 




The Just City, Jo Walton, Tor Books, 2015, 280 pp

What a wonderful surprise this was! The goddess Pallas Athene creates an experiment to build a planned community where Plato's Republic will be brought to life. She gathers adult teachers from all eras of history and various countries. 10,000 children, bought from slavers, will be raised and taught Plato's principles and allowed to become their best selves.

Apollo joins in, having arranged to become a human child. Socrates shows up to question everything and keep Athene on her toes.

It is a brilliant story with plenty of fault lines built in, leaving the reader in suspense as to the success of the experiment. Since I have read Plato, the Illiad and the Odyssey, I was just knowledgeable enough about Greek mythology and philosophy to hang on to the tale by my mental fingertips.

I have only read two of Jo Walton's books previously: Among Others and My Real Children. Each time I am delighted, so I must read more.

Are any of you fans of Jo Walton? If yes, which of her books have you read?


27 comments:

  1. did P's cave analogy make it into the new society?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds familiar. I read this early in September, so I don't have a good answer for you.

      Delete
  2. This book sounds interesting I'll be adding it to my TBR if my TBR doesn't kill me first... oh well. I'm assuming godess Pallas Athene is good (I don't know anything about greek mythology) but helping to make people their best self is inspiring. Pallas Anthene must be grimacing at what acceptable society is today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an incredible book. It seems to be based upon a great concept. I have always thought that Plato described a North Korean like nightmare in The Republic. Either way, thought experiments like this are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you see, you know enough to guess that all does not go perfectly in the story. Here's to thought experiments!

      Delete
  4. Sounds brilliant! It's been on my 'Interest List' for a while now. It definitely sounds like something I'd like. I've read a *bit* of Plato though much more of Aristotle and I do have a Masters degree in Philosophy so..... [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So...I am excited that you know of the book. Apparently there are two sequels which I will get to eventually.

      Delete
    2. my word! if i'd known that i wouldn't have been so mouthy on your blog!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any books by this author, I love when a book turns into a pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After my discovery of this author with Or What You Will, sounds like I really need to read this one. Thanks for your enthusiastic review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know that you have liked Jo Walton!

      Delete
  7. oh, I just went to add it to my Goodreads TBR, and discovered it's actually book 1 of a trilogy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! I forgot to mention that.

      Delete
  8. This sounds very interesting, that cover is striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the cover. It was a great read too!

      Delete
  9. This has been on my TBR for such a long time, but I haven't gotten to it yet! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not even know what it was about until I started reading. I came across it on my library's ebook service. All I knew was that I liked Jo Walton. I think you will find it great when you read it.

      Delete
  10. I have not read Walton but this book sounds quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adding this to my TBR for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh this Welsh author apparently lives in Montreal, Canada now and I didn't even know of her. So thanks for bringing her to my attention. I guess she's a fantasy/sci-fi author which could explain some of it but ... I will check what she's put out. thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in just the three books of hers I have read, there is a lot of variety. Something in her attitudes about life speaks to me in a way I understand.

      Delete
  13. OMG I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE ASAP. This sounds absolutely lovely and wonderful and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is all that. And...there are sequels!!

      Delete