Thursday, September 03, 2020

THE VANISHING HALF


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

The Vanishing Half, Brit Bennett, Riverhead Books, 2020, 460 pp
 
Two of my reading groups picked this novel for discussion in August, but what a difference in reaction between the two groups. One was unanimous in loving it, the other was a mixture of opinions. Personally I found it brilliant.
 
The story centers around a set of female twins, not necessarily identical but born on the same day from the same mother. Their family lived in a small Louisiana town where everyone is Black though extremely light skinned. The townspeople are careful never to marry a darker skinned person even though all the surrounding towns know they are of the Negro race.

The twins, Desiree and Stella, witness the brutal murder of their father, by a white man, at a young age. At sixteen, they run away together and manage to survive by depending on each other.

One day, Stella vanishes. From that point on the story is split into two, following Stella and Desiree separately. Stella has passed as white and married a successful white man. Desiree married and then left an abusive Black man whom she flees with her very dark skinned daughter and returns home.

The novel is an almost Shakespearean tale about identity, both racial and gender. It is not, as far as I am concerned, about whether or not the characters are likeable, but about what happens to individual identities as they live and grow in a world that disdains difference.

As these sisters and daughters and mothers long for each other through several decades, a majority of the characters do grow and change giving a hopeful aspect. Some do not, due to being either oblivious, hopelessly prejudiced or just plain evil. 

I was captivated on every page. Brit Bennett, I think, believes in love and family but is showing us how those aspects of life are also full of pain, separation and loss along with just enough redemption to keep life going.

15 comments:

  1. This novel seems to be getting a lot of comment. I found your thoughts on it interesting. I think I will probably be reading it later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth the read. Brit Bennett has some Toni Morrison influence in her I think.

      Delete
  2. Captivated is the perfect word! I just went to check our library ste and here is what I am looking at in order to read this one:

    eBook - 2020
    Holds: 175 on 21 copies

    Large Print - 2020
    Holds: 66 on 11 copies

    Book - 2020
    Holds: 189 on 49 copies

    Not sure what my best bet is, so I will probably just put a hold on all three and see what comes first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan! Sometimes so much buzz is a worry, but not this time.

      Delete
    2. That's exactly what I did. Usually my back-up plan is to just get the large print since I read pretty quickly - but apparently even that is not going to help me this time!

      Delete
  3. This book is everywhere and it seems to be very well received. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved, loved it - totally transported me - no review yet. I really liked Jude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jude stood out as a strong character for me too!

      Delete
  5. Wow! I'm so curious. I'm always interested in how life can change if you made different choices, had a different upbringing or what happens if you'd marry into different families.

    The journey of twins that make such different choices really makes me curious. This one is high on my list, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would then be a good read for you, Esther!

      Delete
  6. I just finished this novel ... and thought it had various layers and was excellent. The storytelling itself was very captivating between all the characters, and its themes of identity and race and reinventing oneself was quite thought-provoking .... I liked it better than her first novel. Just so much in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your mini-review here! I agree. She grew quite a bit as a writer between The Mothers and this one.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for another great review. I want to read this novel.... But first I need to read Brit Bennett's The Mothers.

    Brit Bennett will be giving a virtual talk @ The Portland Book Festival on November 10th. Find out more information here: https://literary-arts.org/event/pbf-bennett-washington/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both great novels and she is a wonderful speaker.

      Delete