Wednesday, October 03, 2018

OCTOBER READING GROUP UPDATE








The best time for reading is upon us. As the weather cools, I am free from the daily tending of my yard. I look forward to snuggling under a blanket and reading my head off as the days grow shorter and the darkness descends.

To recap my September reading group meetings, we had a full immersion with Molly's Group when we read Bel Canto, went to view the movie and then discussed and compared the two. One Book At A Time were mainly all impressed by Isabel Allende's In the Midst of Winter, though I was the supreme champion of the book. At Bookie Babes I participated in the third reading group discussion of A Gentleman in Moscow, another winner with the readers. So, no duds last month except for a general disappointment with the Bel Canto movie.

In October I will read my first book by Laura Lippman, whom I have always meant to read. Then an adaptation of Shakespeare's Othello from the Hogarth Shakespeare series. I have already read and loved The Underground Railroad. And The Tiny Book Club is back after our summer hiatus reading a book by German author Jenny Erpenbeck. 

One Book At A Time:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Tina's Group:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Bookie Babes:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Tiny Book Club:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org 
 
 
Have you read or discussed any of these books? What are your reading groups discussing in October?

22 comments:

  1. Contrary to this year's Pulitzer Prize winner, I really liked Underground Railroad and I'm happy you included a book by Jenny Erpenbeck. AS you know, I really liked her The End of Days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You are the one who got me interested in reading Jenny Erpenbeck!

      Delete
    2. And I am truly happy about that. Hope you like it.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these books, but I do want to read The Underground Railroad, especially as you say you loved it. The Hogarth Shakespeare books always sound interesting, but I still haven't read any of those yet either. I hope you have some good discussions with your groups this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Underground Railroad would certainly be worth your time. I had to laugh about books that always sound interesting but you still haven't read. Story of my life!

      Delete
  3. Ohh Lippman what a dark / cynical web you weave. Polly is a tough cookie. Hope you enjoy your groups this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have read Lippman? Sounds about right actually that you would have. I am in full anticipation mode on that one.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I have. Sunburn will be a quick read. Not sure what you'll think.

      Delete
    3. I am squirming with anticipation!

      Delete
  4. I have The Underground Railroad in my massive 'TBR' pile... Maybe I should swap out one of the books I was planning to read this month and read The Underground Railroad this month too... That way I can once again compare notes with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a great idea!

      Delete
    2. I started The Underground Railroad today and am about 20% into this novel. I feel like it's off to a slow start, but finally picking up now. I'm curious to see where it will lead me next.

      Delete
    3. Ah, it will lead you on many difficult and revealing journeys. I think you will see as you continue why he started the book the way he did.

      Delete
  5. Neat! My book club is special, each member presents the book he/she liked during the previous month. At our September meeting, I presented a really neat nonfiction: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41028045-the-piano-shop-on-the-left-bank?ac=1&from_search=true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reading group report Emma!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know Tracy Chevalier had a new book out; must check it out. I read one book by Laura Lippman--I'd Know You Everywhere, about the death penalty, which I wasn't a fan of because she took the middle road in typical Jodi Picoult's style. Look forward to your updates on the club meetings and your readings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tracy Chevalier one did not get much promotion for some reason. I haven't gotten the sense that Lippman is like Jodi Picoult. I hope not because you know how I feel about Picoult. I guess I will find out.

      Delete
    2. If any author is compared to Jodi Picoult, I stay well away from them. ;)

      Delete
  7. Looks like your reading groups have another interesting month of reading ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to every meeting!

      Delete
  8. Tomorrow, my church's book club are meeting to discuss The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen.

    ReplyDelete