Friday, October 12, 2018

MERMAIDS IN PARADISE




Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Mermaids in Paradise, Lydia Millet, W W Norton, 2015, 290 pp
 
 
Sometimes fun is what I want in a book. This medium length novel was complete fun all the way through. It was the September pick of my 2018 challenge to read one book a month from the TBR lists I compile each year. If you have followed my reviews for a while you know that I have loved all four previous novels I have read by Lydia Millet. Mermaids in Paradise was no exception.
 
The story is hilarious, endearing and satirical, all in one. Deb and Chip have navigated through their families' input on their wedding day. Deb is an opinionated though clear thinking modern woman while Chip is easy going. They are a perfect balance for each other.

Soon enough they are on their honeymoon at a Caribbean island resort complete with a high-end restaurant that serves meals on a platform over the water. Chip meets other guests in his friendly outgoing way, one of whom is a marine biologist. Nancy is there to study the health of the coral reefs in our current toxic oceans. While doing so she encounters what appear to be actual mermaids.

Word gets out and the parent company of the resort swoops in to capture the mermaids in an initial step to develop a theme park featuring those mythical creatures. You practically get whip lash from the speed at which an idyllic honeymoon turns into something of an eco thriller.

However, Lydia Millet's writing through the voice of Deb, who narrates the story, keeps it light and breezy. Considering there are mermaids involved, Lydia and Deb also keep it real.

I must admit I was not enticed by the cover or even the title. Truly I had very little idea what I was getting into but I sure am glad I did! Next time you visit the Caribbean be sure to take this novel with you.


(Mermaids in Paradise is available in paperback by order from Once Upon A Time Bookstore.)

8 comments:

  1. What a title! And your review has certainly piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I read Lydia Millet I think of you because I am pretty sure you would get her. Not all readers do.

      Delete
  2. A fun read is what one needs from time to time. I thought it was an old novel; the cover looks retro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the cover!

      Delete
  3. Sounds quite different than her book Sweet Lamb of Heaven. A fun read is often necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more lighthearted but definitely her!

      Delete
  4. Sounds fantastic tale that I love to read. I added the novel to my TBR shelf and read the novel later after reading another great novel by Nick Carraway that I Download The Great Gatsby PDF eBook online and complete more than half of the story.

    ReplyDelete